Spring is known as a time for rejuvenation and rebirth. Spring tonic recipes traditionally utilize the early greens and plants to help cleanse the body, restoring fresh vitamins following a long (and often stagnant) winter.
This version of a spring tonic combines local greens, herbs and eggs with a hot bacon vinaigrette. All of these ingredients will be available locally at the Lexington Farmers’ Market — which celebrates its spring grand opening April 5-6 — in the early weeks of April.
For more information, times and locations of Lexington Farmers’ Market, visit www.farmersmarket.com.
Our Spring Tonic Salad ingredients:
• A mix of local greens, including mustard greens, kale and chard, harvested from Berries on Bryan
• Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 tsp.
• Seeded, savory stone ground mustard, 1 tsp.
• Red Wattle Bacon from Hood’s Heritage Hogs (Mt. Olivet, Kentucky) – 6 slices
• Missing Link Farm eggs, hard-boiled and chopped